PRINCETON CLOSES TUTORING SCHOOLS

Drive by Newspaper Prods Official Move

Prodded by a campaign that started in the "Daily Princetonian" last spring, Princeton University authorities have announced a ban on tutoring schools, with disciplinary measures to back it up. Reminiscent of similar action by Harvard over two years ago, the measure included a provision for a scholastic aid committee similar to Harvard's Board of Supervisors.

Already all the tutoring services that have been cramming, outlining, and spotting exams for the Nassaumen have ceded to the edict and closed their doors to panting students. They have given in to panting students. They have given in to pressure, mainly from undergraduate sources, that started as long ago as April 1940, when the "Princetonian" followed up a CRIMSON editorial campaign against them.

Hanford Notes Similarity

Dean Hanford, who had heard of the Princeton move, commented last night that "It is an interesting development to see the colleges take much the same steps in correcting similar abuses."

Princeton's new scholastic committee will "emphasize proper methods of study rather than mere cramming." Two years ago the student daily hinted at this, calling for instruction in "how to study rather than how to dispense with study." Hitting the college-sponsored Student Tutoring Bureau as well as commercial factories, the "Prince" opened its all-out drive last May 11, and the student council and faculty followed in the course of the summer.

Prince Banned Ads

Although conditions at the New Jersey college were about the same as in Cambridge, there were fewer tute schools, and the "Prince," unlike the CRIMSON, did not carry their advertisements. When the Crimson, three years ago, attacked the "intellectual brothels" on Mass. Avenue its first move was to ban advertising from them.

In that campaign, the CRIMSON drive coincided with a copyright suit by MacMillan against the largest Square cram parlor.