SAWHILL, REYNOLDS TO HEAD R.O.T.C. REGIMENT

400 Freshmen Apply For Mil Sci Course

J. Elden Sawhill '43 has been appointed Cadet Colonel of the Harvard ROTC Regiment, according to the Military Science Department announcement last night. He will officially take command on Monday when fall drill begins at Soldier's Field.

Second in command of the regiment and Commander of the First Battalion is James H. Reynolds, Jr. '43, newly-appointed Cadet Lieutenant Colonel. This is a change from last year's organization when the second ranking officer was Regimental Executive.

223 Freshmen Chosen

In the newly formed regiment will be 223 Freshmen who have been admitted to the course from a larger list of applicants than ever before. Under war conditions, the number of men seeking entrance soared as high as was expected, with almost 400 applying.

Four Named Majors

Four Mil, Sci, Seniors have been named Cadet Majors. They are Stafford McLean, commander of the Fourth Battalion, David S. Randolph, Regimental Adjutant, John Richardson, Jr., commander of the Third Battalion, and Preston W. Smith, leading the Second Battalion.

All other Seniors in the course have ranks ranging from Captain to Second Lieutenant. Juniors are Sergeants and Sophomores either Corporals or Privates First Class, while Freshmen fill out the unit as Privates. All ranks and assignments have been determined and the drill list will be posted at headquarters today.

One of the four battalions will drill either Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday from October 5 to November 12, with each battalion divided into four batteries.