BLAIK PRAISES CRIMSON'S FIGHT IN FIRST CADET WIN HERE SINCE 1938

Stannard, Waters Praised for Work

By Burton VAN Vort

With an excess of ammunition tucked away in their cartridge belts, West Point's Cadets did not need to praise the Lord last Saturday afternoon in order to ring up their fourth consecutive victory this season and their first against Harvard since 1938 by a score of 14 to 0.

Army was never in any danger of losing the game, although occasionally there were times when its lead might have been whittled down to one touchdown. One of these occasions gave rise to a controversy that has still not been settled and probably will not be until the movies of the game are released.

That happened early in the fourth quarter when tailback Jack Comerford threw a 25 yard pass in the direction of right end Len Cummings who was standing on about the 13 yard line with no one between him and the end zone.

Just before the aerial was about to fall into Cummings' arms, someone knocked the ball into the hands of Cleo O'Donnell who was trailing close behind. Field Judge A. W. Palmer ruled that Cummings had batted the ball to O'Donnell and that the play was thus void on the grounds that two players on the same team cannot touch the ball consecutively on a forward pass.

There were many people near the play, however, who claimed that Army's Bank Mazur was the "someone" who knocked the pass into O'Donnell's arms, and the picture on the right would seem to indicate that Cummings was hardly in a position at that moment to touch the ball before Mazur did. Even had Cummings touched it, it appears improbable that being off-balance, he could have exerted enough force to push the ball from five to ten yards back to O'Donnell.

Coach Dick Harlow took Saturday's loss more or less philosophically saying that "Army was simply better. We could have stood a few more breaks, but the boys gave everything they had. That's all."

West Point's Coach Earl Blaik echo- ed Harlow's statement that "the boys gave everything they had" when he added, "In all the years I've been coming up here I've never seen a Harvard team that doesn't show more and more fight as the game progresses. It's been happening every year since 1927, and it happened again this afternoon."

Both Harlow and Blaik named Russ Stannard as one of the stars of the game. Still despondent over the unexpected loss of blocking back Swede Anderson, Harlow also singled out Anderson's substitutes George Waters and Hank Goethals, who, he said, "played swell games.