VARSITY CLUB TO BE CLOSED AT END OF FOOTBALL SEASON

Training Tables May Be Set Up in Houses

The Harvard Varsity Club will close down at the end of the football season, William J. Bingham '16, director of Athletics revealed last night. High expenses and lack of help were given as the reasons behind this move which will deprive members of Harvard athletic teams of the training table facilities of the Club.

It was only with difficulty that the Varsity Club was opened at all this fall, Bingham said, as he pointed out that the service problem is especially pressing. At present complaints have been made that there are not enough people to serve members of the Naval Training School which now eats in the Harvard Union next door.

Alternative Plan

As an alternative plan it has been proposed that training tables be set up in the Houses, along the lines of tables which have been reserved in the past in the Union for Freshman teams. Under such a plan training tables would be set up in Houses whose members made up a majority of the team, or in Houses in which the Captain of the team lived.

Hence if the Captain of the hockey team lived in Winthrop, a training table would be set up in that House. F. Barton Harvey '43, undergraduate president of the Varsity Club, Donald Forte '43, vice-president, and J. Donald MacKinnon '43, treasurer, have been working on an alternative plan which would enable the Varsity Club to stay open, but at present the chances seem slight that such a plan would meet the crisis in expenses and help.

Elections

Also announced last night were the elections of two men to the Undergraduate Athletic Committee to fill vacancies left by departing students. Schofield Andrews, Jr. '44 has been elected to replace Thomas W. Boynton '43, coxswain of last year's Varsity crew. J. Donald MacKinnon '43, has been elected to replace John R. Shattuck '43. MacKinnon is captain of the Varsity track team. Shattuck has left College to join the Navy under the V-7 program.