ONE YEAR STUDY PLAN DISCUSSED BY COUNCIL

New Courses May be Given War Students

Helping to get the College on a firm war footing, the Student Council Committee on Curriculum and Tenure is preparing to discuss the problem of education for students who will only be able to remain in College for a year before being inducted into the Army.

Following along the line of a plan laid down by President Conant in his Chapel address on October 6, the Committee will investigate the advisability of offering a new set of courses to supplement the regular fields of math, physics, and chemistry.

The new courses to be taken into consideration will be designed to give the student a well-rounded education, limited as it may be. Although only four courses are now being planned, more may be discussed later. The change would only be effective for the duration.

Substitute for English A

Among those courses being considered is one combining literature and composition. The literature half would not be a survey course but a study of classical, Russian, English, and other writings. This course, if accepted, would take the place of English A.

A second course in American thought and institutions may also be offered. Designed to give a general picture of jour American heritage, it will give the pre-draft student a clear understanding of the war issues.

Philosophy of War

The third course will deal with philosophy and will be directed toward consideration of the war. By no means a survey course, it will consider problems of current interest and concern. This course would substitute for Philosophy A.

The fourth course under consideration will be devoted to the field of history. By showing students what has taken place in the past, it should enable them to plan for the future more intelligently.

Suggestions Welcome

The purpose of the Committee's investigation is not to revamp the College curricula, but to determine whether changes are advisable in view of the present emergency.

Suggestions from students as to what type of courses they would like to take, would be welcomed by the Committee chairman.