Casey at the Bat

Senator Henry Cabot Lodge who is running for reelection does not deserve to be chosen again. He has failed in his responsibility to his constituents. Representative Joseph Casey, his opponent, has had an eight year record in Congress that clearly warrants a promotion to the more important higher body. Mr. Casey has proven that he is a more honest representative of the people and a truer statesman than the present incumbent.

Senator Lodge has opposed the bulk of New Deal policies, domestic and foreign. He has tried to straddle the political fence has shied from important and controversial bills and in general has tried to identify himself with every group, publicly refusing to take a stand of his own. But in the senatorial voting of which the Senator has taken a part his true political complexion is unmistakable. He is not liberal Republican under the able leadership of Mr. Willkie. He is in spirit, if not in words, one of the "Old Guard."

The Senator voted against slum clearance and low cost housing, needed government reorganization, against extension of TVA, and against CCC and aid for the unemployed. In foreign affairs, he voted against repeal of the disastrous arms embargo, against the trade pacts, backbone of the Good Neighbor policy and against sending an army abroad, thus tying the hands of the military. This is neither the record of a humanitarian, a leader, or a statesman.

Mr. Casey has voted 100 per cent for the long over-due domestic policies of the New Deal. He has had the vision to see the necessity for them. And while Senator Lodge has voted against most of the President's foreign policy, Mr. Casey has supported it. He voted for the fortification of Guam, aircraft appropriations, neutrality revision, lend-lease, draft extension and renewal of the trade pacts. Though he naturally has made many mistakes he has resolutely proven to be a fighter for progressive democracy at home and abroad. He deserves to be elected to the Senate.