Veterans Promise Big Year For Strong W. and M. Team

Virginia Powerhouse Hits Crimson Oct. 10

William and Mary is 800 years old this fall, and it is celebrating the anniversary by fielding one of the best teams in the South. The Senior-filled eleven that comes north to play Harvard next Saturday is the well-machined product of three solid years under Coach Carl Voyles, and is ready for a big season.

Fifteen lettermen are back this fall from the squad that pulled a 3-0 upset on Dartmouth last year, and they started this year by taking over Navy by the same score. The third dangerous team that the Crimson has to face in succession, the Southerners feature straight power plays, operating from the good old single wing formation.

Johnson Leads Attack

They have the perfect man to head up that kind of attack in Stud Johnson, the galloping pillbox who wound up last year All-Southern Conference. "A player without a weakness," as his coach, Voyles calls him, Johnson is a 210 pounder who runs through, over, or around defense players, and is fast enough to out-distance most of them. His placekicks beat both Dartmouth and Navy.

Up on the line, there's a rangy whiplash called Buster Ramsey, also Conference champ, a guard who spends more time in opposing backfields than a lot of wingbacks. Ramsey's reputedly almost mystical sense of ball-following, his terrific charge and endurance help him sink most ball-carriers before they come near the line of scrimmage.

Captain Mary Bass and Hal Fields are big, tough tackles with the savvy that comes of long experience. Both are headed for starring roles. Together with Ramsey, his running mate, Doc Holloway, and Tex Warrington at center, they'll make the middle of the line one of the most solid that will face the Crimson all year.

Hoopsters at End

A basketball player is supposed to make a good end. W. and M. has two of them. Not only do they play basketball, but Al Vandweghe and Glenn Knox are All-Conference courtmen, and will bring their ball-handling ability to the receiving end of Bud Hubard's passes. They're big, too, and can block.

Overshadowed by Johnson, but very much there, Corky Korczowski is the unsung Evashevski of the Indian backfield. He, too, is a Senior, with three years under Voyles behind him, and, unlike most blocking backs, can actually sub for fullback Johnson.