STUDENT COUNCIL TO OBTAIN SMALL PART OF SERVICE FUND

American Red Cross Also To Get Some of Receipts

This is the last of a series of articles describing the use of funds collected by the Harvard Service Fund drive which opens Monday.

Student Council

To most undergraduates the Student Council is some vague organization which from time to time issues reports. Few people realize either the time spend in preparing these reports or the expense to which the Council must go to set up investigating committees. Thus one of the smaller items on the Harvard Service Fund budget will be the Student Council.

The Council meeting room in PBH must be kept up during the year, and money must be provided for the expenses of the committees assigned to investigate various student problems. The results of these investigations are presented to the Councils in reports. Such recently was the report of the Committee on Curriculum and Tenure on the proposed plan for a symmetrical three term year, and the report favoring the retention of the present system of cutting classes.

In addition the Student Council has to pay for its telephone, stationery, and postal supplies. Roughly about five per cent of the money collected from the undergraduates is used for the running expenses of the Council and its committee.

Red Cross

On relief organization which needs no introduction is the American Red Cross. The Red Cross annually receives from the Boston Area donations amounting to between two and three million dollars, but this year the Red Cross will no longer be included under the Community, Fund and will depend more on individual contributions.