More Salt

For the first time in recent years, the two major parties in Massachusetts are led by able men with humane records showing ability and integrity. The Hurley-Curley-Coakley gang seems to be eliminated from the fight, leaving the way clear for a respectable Democrat, Roger Lowell Putnam, to carry their standard as candidate for Governor. He is opposing Governor Leverett Saltonstall, whose two terms as the state's Chief Executive have been successful in cleaning up after James M. Curley and Co., in giving the state a solid financial backing, and restoring the morale of its public servants. Furthermore, the Governor has a great advantage in that priceless commodity, experience, which is so vital in a crisis like the present.

His administration has been an excellent one. In spite of increased war expenses, (the legislature appropriated an extra $7,000,000), there were no new tax burdens, a 75 per cent reduction in four years, sizable drops in local rates, and an increase in reimbursements to cities and towns. A policy of judicious economy and use of surplus cash has brought about this miracle, and created a $4,500,000 backlog against revenue decreases besides. He has fulfilled his 1938 pledge of "Opportunity for the Young, Security for the Aged." $60,000,000 more than in the previous four years have been made available to old people, and stepped up vocational training has been linked with the establishment of a special board coordinating the activities of the state government, industries, schools, social agencies, and labor with an eye to making an easier road for youth. His labor record, though not astounding, has been good. The Bay State holds the nation-wide record among industrial states for the least amount of time lost in strikes. Minimum wages were established for 50,000 women and minors employed in restaurants, 150,000 women office workers, and teachers. Benefits under the Workman's Compensation were increased, the waiting period under the Employment Security legislation has been reduced from two weeks to one, and its coverage has been extended. Admittedly, Putnam's labor record in Springfield, where he was endorsed by both the C.I.O. and A.F. of L., as a result of such action as instituting trade schools, getting union rates for some city employees, and giving labor an active part in the city government, is one of the strong points for his candidacy. But the increased taxes in Springfield, and the secret-police methods used by law enforcement officials to investigate WPA and welfare cases (a practice later halted by the federal administration) do not increase his stature any.

Saltonstall was one of the first prominent officials to back Roosevelt's foreign policy to the hilt all the way. And he not only talked, but acted. Long before Pearl Harbor, the first state Committee on Public Safety was set up, and an efficient civilian defense organization was functioning by December 7. The future has been an object of serious thought, too, with the organization of a Post-War Readjustment Committee to prepare for a possible depression and drop in production. He has been an honest, efficient, and experienced Governor, and as such should be given the opportunity to serve Massachusetts for another term.