NEW WAR SERVICE SUMMARY SHOWS E.R.C., V-1 PROCEDURE

Announcement by Stimson Applies to Army Air Force

The following is a summary of war service conditions as they stand at the present time, as released by the War Service Information Bureau.

Army Enlisted Reserve

Enlisted Reserve men, whenever they may be called, in general go at once into 13 weeks' basic training as privates. Here their better-than-average education should enable them to win promotion to an officers' candidate school rairly quickly. Thus the principal difference between the E.R.C. and the draft is that a man may be drafted two weeks before midyears, losing credit for the whole term, while in the Reserve he can be called only at the end of a semester.

Exceptions to this are technical students, who may be deferred or detailed direct to special duty.

V-1

While the Navy stresses education and so will probably not call out the V-1 as the Army may the E.R.C., it does require a screen-out examination after the end of the Sophomore year. Students must prepare by studying college physics and math, and by acquiring a knowledge of trigonometry.

Those who pass remain in college until graduation, then go to Ensign School for three months' training, and presumably succeed in being commissioned as the result of that training. Those who fail (and there seems slight chance to failure for a man who can do the Harvard preparatory work) are immediately sent on active duty, and after six months' sea duty may apply for Ensign training. Failures may avoid this sea duty, however, by enlisting in the Naval Air Force for active duty.

Finally, for those who lack the physical qualifications for active naval duty, there is V-1 (S), open to concentrators in Engineering, Physics, or Chemistry. The procedure is as above, except that premedical students need not take the screen-out exam.

Air Forces

The Army Air Force Reserve is affected by Secretary Stimson's announcement in the same way as the E.R.C. This means that those applicants who can pass the flight training physical are enlisted in the Reserve, and kept in college until the Army wants them. Men with ground crew ambitions should in general join the Enlisted Reserve Unassigned, and seek transfer to the Air Force ground crew when they have the necessary educational background.

In the Naval Aviation Training program (V-5), students are not called until they have had two and one-half years of college. They are required to take the same screen-out examination as V-1 members, and, like V-1 men, may escape service as seamen if they fail by applying for immediate aviation service.