NROTC Conditioning Plan To Get Under Way Today

Ex-All American to Head Navy Program

What prejudiced observers call the toughest thing this side of the trenches, the Naval R.O.T.C. conditioning program gets under way today on Soldiers Field with strength tests in chinning, push-ups, body lever, and standing broad jump.

After a 60-yard swimming test, probably tomorrow, the program will get down to its regular schedule of three times a week, with the two-hour drill filling out the athletic requirement with a vengeance.

Naval Sci conditioning will consist of such pastimes as jin jitsu, boxing, wrestling, cross country running, the obstacle course, calisthenics, and rope climbing-all designed to make abler ensigns:

To get out of it, a student must be a member of an athletic squad that is engaged in competition. Off-season practice will not count, and House sports are just out.

In direct charge of this training is Chief Specialist Frank Patrick, former All-American fullback at Pitt. A regular in 1935, 1936, and 1937, Patrick hit the high point in his collegiate career by scoring two of the three touchdowns in Pittsburg's 21 to 0 victory over Washington in the '37 Rose Bowl game.

For the next three years, he played with the Chicago Cardinals in the National Professional League.

Because the decision to allow one credit for the lab period was made just yesterday, all men who have already filled out their schedules should see Chief Patrick at once, and must attend all conditioning classes signed for this week.