NELSON LAUDS BUSY SCHOOL'S NEW PROGRAM

Rejuvenating Businessmen Called Contribution to War

Congratulating the Business School on its industrial re-training program, Donald M. Nelson, chairman of the WPB, described the plan of fitting business executives for positions in war industries as "a definite contribution to our war effort."

Only one of the enthusiastic endorsements which the Business School reports have been received, the recommendation was contained in a letter to Dean Donald K. David.

"May I at this time congratulate the Harvard Business School," it said, "on the establishment of its retraining program and wish you every success in its administration, for it will be a definite contribution to our war effort. The School demonstrates again a continuance of its foresightedness."

Begin February 1

Scheduled to begin on February 1, the program will help business executives adjust themselves to some job in a field useful to the war effort. According to Dean David, an effort will be made to give retrainees a knowledge of tools and techniques rather than the qualifications for one specific kind of job.

"This comparatively broad type of course was adopted after consultation with the executives of war industries whose advice we sought in connection with the organization of the program."

The plan, which is a logical sequence to the University's new Labor Fellowship program, is not the first time that the Business School has tried to train older men. Summer courses for business executives have been held, and since the last war the Army and Navy have sent officers to the school.

It will, however, round out the University's part in the war effort, Dean David said. "At the Business School, we are conscious of the adjustments that must be made on the home front. It is our desire to aid in the great task of transferring executives who have demonstrated their capabilities in the business enterprise of normal times to useful, responsible positions in the production of goods necessary to win the war."