Cutting the Apron-Strings

The Student Council was speaking not only for the students of Harvard, but for students and young people all over the country, when it telegraphed Congressman May last night, opposing the O'Daniel amendment to the 18-19 year draft bill. This amendment would prevent men under 20 from being sent overseas until they have had a year of training, and it is only the latest in a series of obstructionist "political" moves by vote-grabbing legislators.

The dangers inherent in this measure for the success of our war effort are fully attested to by every administration spokesman and army staff officer from Roosevelt and Marshall on down. If passed, it will produce chaos in the organization and replacement training of military units. Whole regiments and divisions may be held up. We need not fear that our military leaders will allow boys to go into action before they are fully prepared. But we have reason to fear that if the O'Daniel amendment is passed, our leaders will be prevented from taking action when action becomes vitally necessary.

In its opposition tot he extension for the draft beyond one year, in its unwillingness to allow any draftees to be sent overseas, even in its reluctance over the original draft bill, Congress has consistently set political opportunism against military necessity. While claiming to speak for its constituents, it has actually been left at the post again and again by an awakened public opinion. It only remains for that public opinion to make itself audible--even to Congressmen.