VARSITY SOCCER SQUAD DOWNS TECH BOOTERS

Gifford Scores Two Goals for Crimson

Led by the spectacular playing of Captain Dick Gifford, the Varsity soccer team yesterday afternoon downed an M.I.T. squad by a score of 4-0. This was the third victory for the Crimson booters.

The Varsity team obtained an early lead in the first period by scoring two goals. Both of the tallies were made by Captain Gifford who was playing in the forward line from the right outside position which is not his regular post.

Galhoun Scores

In the second period tile Crimson booters added a third goal on a "perfect" play by a trio consisting of Jack Dixson, Eli Berman, and Jack Calhoun. The score was made when Berman, from an M.I.T. corner of the field, relayed a kick from Dixson to Calhoun, Calhoun in turn made a magnificent head shot which escaped Rosenberg, the Tech goalie.

The fourth goal, made in the third period, resulted from a well-placed shot by Thayer Drake into the corner of the M.I.T. net.

Although the Crimson team managed to keep the ball in M.I.T. territory throughout most of the game, the Tech booters would have staged a "last inning rally" were it not for the excellent playing of goalie Mike Keene.

Third Victory

Today's game on the Business School Field marked the Crimson's third win. The Varsity's 3-0 defeat, at the hands of the Princeton eleven last Saturday was its second loss. The Army game ended in a scoreless tie. The booters will play their next game with Massachusetts State at Amherst next Saturday.

The lineups in today's contest:

For the Varsity: g, Thompson, Keene, rfb, Harbison; lfb, Forster, Giles; rh, Butcher, Clarke, H. Allen; ch, Slingerland; lh, Mallory; ro, Gifford, Morgan; ri, Apthorp, Dixson; cf, Calhoun; li, Berman; lo, Drake.

For M.I.T.: g, Rosenberg; rfb, Coberdale; lhb, Loven; rh, McFaull; ch, Carpenter (Captain); lhb, Chapin; ro, La Valle, Engelman, Slawson, Krulee; ri, Heckel; cf, Abbott; li, Momose; lo, Ihade, Lednicky.