Through the Fog

Washington, it appears, is not too worried about student morale. The wealth of rumors, official and otherwise, that sped about the College yesterday only served to deepen bewilderment. Administrators, Faculty, and students, all spent their time trying to find where they and the University stood relative to the manpower muddle. When the mass of rumors finally cleared away and it became apparent that the release of new information had again been postponed, only one reaction was possible: they've done it again.

But if Washington is responsible for the confusion that the robbed college inmates of so much sleep, there is still no evidence that the final plans will be scrambled too. Effective organization of the nation's teaching resources is a problem as immense as any yet faced. The tangle of interest and personality conflicts has only increased the task whose complexity has already resulted in so much reshuffling and postponement. That none of the half-baked schemes have been released may have resulted in college-crippling confusion, but it remains evidence of official determination that the final structure shall utilize to the utmost the facilities of America's colleges.

The omens are good. The final plans cannot satisfy all educators, but what previews have leaked in official statements show sober thought and sound planning. Washington is apparently ready to delay the execution while it perfects the blueprints. We may guess that the same sobriety will be shown in details of the planning. Meanwhile there is no cause for panic. The reserves may be called, but they will go in order; not on a week's notice in mid-term. The army may move in, but not tomorrow or by the first of the year. If the plans have taken long, the complete execution will take longer, and it becomes ever clearer that nothing that can happen will, in the immediate future, radically after the undergraduate fate.

The plans will come. No one can know the final details; no one can say when they will come; no one can guarantee the students will not be subjected to weekly barrages like that which rained upon Cambridge yesterday. We can only wait, confident that the final blueprint will be no slipshod affair.