Those Pearl Harbor Missed

Yesterday, after months of quibbling and needless delay, the gaso-line-rubber conservation program went into effect throughout the nation. Yet, in spite of the Bausch report, and statements by President Roosevelt and Rubber Administrator Jeffers as to the dire necessity of this measure, many Oklahomans and 166,000 out of 546,000 Detroit car owners refused to register. Mr. Jeffers warned "There is a good deal of organized opposition in various quarters--the funds for which are being furnished by people who should know better. I don't question their motive. They just don't understand."

This is nothing short of fifth columnism. Anybody who has enough money to muster "universal" opposition to an administrative wartime measure certainly has sufficient information to understand what people in the East have taken for granted since last July. "The people that know better" should not be shielded by the government: they should be cornered and nailed. No matter how high up they are, no matter how many thousands of men they employ, these men must not be allowed to endanger the transportation system of the whole nation. No matter how high up they are, no matter how many thousands of men they employ, these men must not be allowed to endanger the transportation system of the whole nation. Tomorrow they may be shooting at something still more vital.