Army Commission Age Cut to 18 Following Lead of U.S. Air Corps

Army May Take R.O.T.C. Before Graduation; Length of Course Waits Washington Word

In line with the recent decision to lower the minimum age requirement for commissions in the Air Corps from 21 to 18 years, the War Department has now extended this ruling to commissions in the entire Army. Furthermore, the Army has decided to grant commissions to R.O.T.C. graduates without a college degree if necessary.

This new regulation has no effect upon commissions given by the Navy, which has never had a 21-year minimum rule. Both the Naval Academy and the Naval R.O.T.C., have graduated men younger than 21.

While the implications of this change are far-reaching, the most immediate result will be the commissioning of several military Science 4 students who will not be of age this June. The University policy to graduate men by their 20th birthday will necessitate changes in the R.O.T.C. curriculum made possible by the new ruling.

Washington Vague on Mil Sci

The exact nature of the Mil Sci revision depends on War Department decisions not yet received Washington has not indicated whether the R.O.T.C. will be a two, three, or four year course or if they will attempt to commission men as soon as possible, disregarding college degrees.

Major Morton Smith, Adjutant, indicated last night that the Military Science Department was ready to present any program of courses that the War Department might want.

Also effected by the new age ruling are draftees and enlited men in line for Officer Candidate Schools, which now accept soldiers from 18 to 45.

18 Minimum for Meteorology

The Army meteorology course at M.I.T. under the supervision of the Air Corps has been operating on the 18 year minimum for some time. Under a similar change, the Signal Corps course will make it possible for civilians to fulfill requirements leading to a commission regardless of their age.

The new policy is of particular importance to men who, eligible for commissions because of their special training, were previously in danger of being drafted before reaching commission age.