FOOD PROBLEM DEBATE HELD ON NETWORK

Council, Crimson, Student Representatives Take Part

A discussion of the new board ruling in University Dining Halls, on the Crimson Network's Student Forum last night, revealed that many College men, while favoring some sort of adjustment to meet the rising cost of food, are not sure that the solution finally adopted was the best that could have been made.

"Most students object to the new regulation prohibiting seconds because it was sprung on them unexpectedly, without giving them a chance to consider the alternatives," said Harry L. Hosford, Jr. '44, who took the undergraduate side in the discussion.

Too Short Notice

"Durant knew that food rates were rising, and he should have known in advance that the old system wasn't going to work out," he added. "Why couldn't we have been informed of the proposed change before midyears, instead of getting little printed, notices on the dining tables the day the new rule went into effect?" Hosford reasoned.

Representing the CRIMSON at the informal debate yesterday evening was Alfred L. Atherton, Jr. '44, who emphasized that "little is to be gained by haphazard individual complaints," and revealed that the CRIMSON would conduct a poll next week to determine undergraduate views on this topic. "We should not consider the present setup as permanent," he added.

"As far as the Student Council is concerned," said representative Jack Sullivan '43, "we endorsed the adjustment only in general form when it was sent down to us by the University." He emphasized, however, that the Student Council did not have a say in the specific measures which were finally adopted.