TRACKMEN TO FACE PRINCETON, ARMY

MacKinnon, Ford, Palson, Lead Mikkola Team Today

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

Both the Freshman and Varsity track forces go into action away from home today, as the Varsity takes on Princeton and Army at West Point, and the Yardlings run Exeter in New Hampshire. These meets will be the first formal affairs for both squads, although several individual members of the teams have competed in various events.

The West Point meet, which the Crimson should win without too much trouble, will include field events, dash, mile, and two-mile runs, mile and two-mile relays, and low and high hurdles. In the field events, Coach Mikkola's men look best as pole vaulters and shot putters.

Tom Holyoke in the broad jump, who hasn't as yet been unveiled in any kind of competition by Jaakko, may surprise the prognosticators in this event. According to Jaakko, Ted Bauer and Johnny Bunker, the two high-jumpers, are "coming nicely." But Mike Ford is well set in the pole vault, backed by Steve Brooks and Gerry Lenane.

Don MacKinnon should do better than he has thus far this year in the hurdles, but Bill Trainor and Eli Berman in the dashes are still a great question mark. Bill Palson and Captain Bob Houghton may well monopolize the mile run, while the two-mile event will see Tim, Coggeshall, Don McCaul, and assistant manager will Dalrymple on the line for the Crimson.

The Yardlings should duplicate the Varsity's feat with West Flint and Ted Withington in the hurdles, and Frank Coolidge in the dash. Archie Lyon, on the basis of his past times, should lead the pack in the 1,000-yard run. However, he has had a bad cold for the last week or so, and may not be in too good condition. Big Pete Garland should have little trouble in the shot put, while the broad jump and high jump are questionable.