900 REGISTER HERE FOR DRAFT

Draft Board Works In Mem Hall, P.B.H.

Harvard surrendered Memorial Hall and Phillips Brooks House again to the cause of national defense yesterday, as an estimated 900 men between 20 and 44 registered for probable future military service.

Father and son, overalled laborer and bespectacled University instructor, joined students in the long queues of men waiting their turn to be questioned.

The registrars, mostly members of the Faculty and their wives who had also volunteered their services in the first registration in November, 1940, commented that the men yesterday had a clearer conception of the necessity of a large army in defending this country and lacked the bitterness of some of their predecessors.

P.B.H. was crowded in the morning, while Memorial Hall was used in the afternoon, especially between 2 and 3 o'clock when 80 men were waiting in line. For this reason, even though there were twenty registrars on duty in Memorial Hall, some men had to wait an hour for their turn.

It was explained by officials that registration is a slow process, taking in most cases about 12 minutes, because the cards have to be filled out with absolute accuracy and have to be printed, not written in script. Each man must sign up under the individual supervision of a registrar. In addition, many of the registrants didn't know what answers to give to the various questions, and entered into long discussions concerning particular problems.

Because the registration was heavier yesterday than expected, and because the boards will be open for a longer time, a decreased volume of work and less crowding are expected today.