Varsity Runners Top Army, Princeton; Yardlings Triumph in Exeter Clash

Garland, Withington Break Shot-put, 300 Yard Records

Both the Varsity and Freshman track teams raced to very impressive victories over their opponents Saturday, and although the Varsity was weaker than expected in running events, the Yardlings proved themselves to be an excellent team. The Varsity won with 44 points to Army's 39, and Princeton's 14, while the Yardlings beat Exeter 57 to 29.

In the dash at the Harvard-Army-Princeton meet, the finish was so close, with all four men crossing the finish line so near together, that it was almost a blanket finish. Bill Trainor was awarded a second, and Kearie Barry won the event. In the mile, which was won by Don Jordan of Princeton, in the good time of 4:26.7, captain Bob Houghton closed up a gap of 15 to 20 yards in the last lap, to come within inches of nipping Jordan at the tape.

Bob Walling of Army had a little too much for the Crimson hurdlers, and won both events, but Tim Cogge shall evened up the score by taking the two-mile race.

Dick Pfister's first in the shot put was a creditable showing, but Johnny Shattuck was apparently nervous, and only got a third. Mike Ford's tie for first with Steve Brooks, and Al Bates of Princeton in the pole vault was no particular surprise, but Ted Bauer and Johnny Bunker's first in the high-jump was good.

Tom Holyoke, who pulled a muscle recently, was all taped up, and wasn't able to do his best in the broad-jump, but Bauer took a third, and Holyoke wasn't far behind him.

The Freshman cracked two records when Pete Garland, heaved the shot to a new cage record of 56 feet 1 inch. Ted Withington smashed the Exeter Mark in the 300. The Crimson Yardlings won 8 out of the 10 events, and gained a preponderance of the seconds and thirds.