Big Red Defeats Varsity 40 to 34

Cornell Five Halts Late Crimson Rally

ITHACA, N. Y., Feb. 18--Harvard's low flying basketball team took another swoop tonight as it dropped a 40 to 34 decision to Cornell, which moved into a tie for the league load with Dartmouth by virtue of the win.

The Big Red team, in avenging last year's two losses to the Crimson, led all the way and was never seriously threatened until near the end of the contest when a determined Harvard rally cut the margin to four points all to no avail.

Bespectacled Bill Stewart, Junior forward on the home team was the marksman for the evening as he fired 18 points through the hoop to pace the Cornell attack.

Pace Slow

From the opening whistle to the end of the game, action was slow as both teams concentrated on defense rather than offense. As the game progressed, the home team surged into the lead until it held a 23 to 16 advantage at half time.

Cornell was setting the pace 37 to 28, in the second half when the Crimson put in its bid for victory Ed Buckley and Art Scully sunk two field goals to put the team within five points of the leaders before Bill Stewart sank a free throw.

Buckley, who was playing forward, then took advantage of a fast break to sink a well-timed basket to bring his team within four points of the Big Red, but this was the end of the threat.

Bunks Burditt, the Crimson's leading scorer, was held to a measely two points during the first half due to the close guarding of the tall center by the Cornell due of Redman and Harper. But he broke loose in the second half with four baskets for a total of ten points for the night.

61-Foot Shot

High point of anotherwise drab evening of basketball for the crowd of 4000 was Stewart's sensational shot as time ran out in the first half. The brilliant sharpshooter's 61 foot set shot was the longest basket ever scored in the annals of Barton Hall.

The summary: HARVARD   Gls  Fls  Pts Lutz, f  1  0  2 Buckley, f  4  1  9 Webber, f  2  0  4 Burditt, c  4  2  10 Rothschild, c  0  1  1 Finegan, g  1  1  3 Lutze, g  1  1  3 Scully, g  1  0  2   --  --  -- Totals  14  6  34

CORNELL   Gls  Fls  Pts Stewart, f  7  4  4 Bouton, f, c  2  0  4 Gallagher, f  0  0  0 Harper, c  1  0  2 Barden, c  1  0  2 Hunter, g, c  4  3  11 Coe, g  1  0  2 Bargess, g  0  1  1   --  --  -- Totals  16  8  40 Referees: Ed Boyle and Ed Kearney.