College Still Desires Liberal Arts Program

HLU Survey Shows Strong War Policy

Showing that 85 per cent of Harvard men are convinced that the United States was right in entering the war and that it should concentrate all its energies on winning it, the results of the Harvard Liberal Union's survey of undergraduate opinion were completely tabulated yesterday.

Revealing that the student body as a whole still believes that a liberal education is more important than scientific training for the College, the poll stressed that interest in a specific education for war was concentrated in the upper classes.

Government prohibition of the publication of facts that would be detrimental to the war effort was upheld by almost half of the students, while over 25 per cent of them recommended the censorship of damaging opinions as well as facts.

Internationalism Shown

The questionnaire, which was distributed a week ago at the request of a Government fact-finding agency, also revealed that members of the Houses show a markedly greater interest in internationalism and labor than Yardlings. Almost two-fifths of the upperclassmen, for example, are in favor of the entrance of this country into an international federation, even at the expense of U. S. national sovereignty.

While undergraduate opinion was divided on the question of whether the United Nations could make a fair and lasting peace in the event of a German defeat, a majority urged that Germany be accepted back into the family of nations, and that an international control of raw materials and markets be established.

War Effort Disapproved

With regard to the organization of the war effort at home, however, pronounced disapproval was expressed. The present provisions for price control, rationing, and the restriction of war profits were among those condemned.

While most men believe that the Selective Service system is satisfactory, they expect that the army will disregard their training and experience. They are overwhelmingly convinced, however, that what they can do as private citizens can materially affect the course of the war.

A similar poll was conducted at Radcliffe by their League for Democracy. Results were announced to be similar to those of the Harvard questionnaire, except that Radcliffe more heavily favored a liberal education and more universally felt that the Selective Service system was inadequate.

The percentages after these typical questions represent the whole College.

1. We were right in going into this war and we should concentrate all our energies on winning it 78%

We should have kept out of the war, but now that we are in it we should do our best to win 17%.

We should never have entered the war, and I do not want to help in its prosecution 4%. Undecided 1%.

2. During the war, students should spend most of their time on: specific training for the war 35%. Getting a liberal education 45%. Undecided 20%.

3. Universities should place maximum emphasis on: A liberal arts program, while providing a limited amount of training in specific defense fields 52%. Specific training for the armed forces and war industries, while continuing a limited number of cultural courses 35%. Undecided 13%.

4. The Government should prohibit the publication of: Military secrets only 24%. Facts whose publication would be detrimental to the war effort 43%. Facts and opinions the publication of which is considered detrimental to the war effort 28%. Undecided 5%.

5. American policy after the war should be based on: Withdrawal from all foreign entanglements 3%. Retention of national sovereignty, but cooperation with other nations 53%. Entry in an international federation with relinquishment of sovereignty 33%. Undecided 11%.

6. After the war we should have, in the United States: More centralized economic planning 62%. Less centralized planning 19%. Undecided 19%.

7. After the war, and with the overthrow of the Nazi government: We must crush Germany so that she will never be able to rise again 19%, We must accept Germany back into the family of nations 64%. Undecided 17%.