Ideas Are Weapons

Although swords may be proving themselves mightier than pens these days, the ideas behind the front lines, and especially those of the men who are soon going to be in the front lines, are becoming increasingly important. The results of the Liberal Union's Student Opinion Questionnaire have significance in the war effort, as well as in the study of the species Harvardman.

It should be clear from the first that Harvard students are completely behind the war effort. Even more heartening than the 78 per cent who thought we were right in going into the war is the 89 per cent who want us to fight it through to the finish. Also encouraging is the definite internationalist bias, evidenced by the 86 per cent who agreed that after the war we shall have to give up some national sovereignty, to cooperate with other nations.

But a great deal of this enthusiasm appears to be running to waste, from sheer confusion, and lack of information. While a majority of upper classmen feel that "during the war students should spend most of their time on specific training for war," they also want the universities to concentrate on giving liberal arts training. More than 40 per cent of the college is convinced that if they are drafted their training and experience will not be considered by the Army. In the light of Professor Seavey's recent report on his tour of draft camps, this is clearly a mistaken impression. A large-scale educational campaign may be called for, to convince prospective draftees of the value of the new officer-training system. The replies received to the question on civil liberties, indicating that a plurality sees only a "negligible or remediable effect in the long run" for "serious restrictions" seems to show that the lessons of the last war have been easily forgotten.

Harvard can hardly be accused of lack of enthusiasm and determination in the war effort. But enthusiasm and determination must be given direction, if they are to give us eventual victory.