Martin Named Lacrosse Coach; Hanford New Yardling Mentor

Appointees to Succeed Snibbe and Blotner, Will Assume Tasks When Practice Resumes

In the second major coaching change within the month, Director of Athletics William J. Bingham '16 announced last night that both the Varsity and Freshman lacrosse teams will see entirely new faces when they start practice for the coming spring.

Benjamin Martin, an employee in a Boston insurance firm, is the new Varsity mentor, while George H. Hanford '41 has been named Freshman coach.

Martin will succeed Richard W. Snibbe, last year's Varsity coach, who left his course at the Graduate School of Design, and will take over his duties on February 17, when official lacrosse practice begins for the season.

Hanford, the new Yardling mentor, will replace Norman D. Blotner '40, who decided last week to leave Law School and join the Navy. The new coach, the son of Dean A. Chester Hanford, was the star goalie for three years while in college in soccer, hockey, and lacrosse.

Last year, he received honorable mention for the official All-American lacrosse team. Blotner, his predecessor, made history in his Senior year at college, when he was named to a defense position on the All-American team.

The new Varsity coach received his first lacrosse experience while a student at Syracuse 12 years ago, when he was a star player on the Orange and Black team. He has been closely connected with the game ever since then.

Both coaches will take over duties on February 17, while a preliminary meeting of candidates for both squads will be held in the very near future. In the meantime, however, informal practice will continue in Briggs Cage for any players interested.