Network Broadcasts Advertisements Today

When the Crimson Network's second semester broadcasts go on the air for the first time this afternoon, they will feature the first commercial announcements ever heard over the College station.

In the form of a 13-second "singing spot" transcription, the first of these commercials will come at 4:45 o'clock, on the daily "Swing Out" program. The contract runs for 13 weeks, and is sponsored by the Beech-Nut chewing gum concern.

From the revenue obtained from the advertisements, the Network will be able to dissolve its debts, pay its small maintenance expenses, and probably extend its broadcasting facilities to the Yard before June.

Twenty-three of these spots will be broadcast weekly between 4 and 5 o'clock. The announcements are not to be the ear-racking and hackneyed transcriptions so prevalent on local stations, the Network officers stated.

Despite the possible addition of some new sponsors, the Network stressed that it is going to limit the amount of time given to commercial announcements.

"The Network intends very seriously to allow no advertising contract to alter its chief purpose--that of supplying its listeners with good, and with listenable programs," the executive board announced.

One of the last Eastern intercollegiate stations to go commercial, the College station has been on the air for almost two years, having opened its facilities on April 15, 1940. New Swath more College's station is the only one in the East without advertising.