Yardling Mermen Win Over Gardner, 42-24

Power in Breaststroke Event Proves to Be Decisive Factor

Power in the breaststroke event proved the decisive factor in the Yardling swimming meet Saturday afternoon, when Coach Frank Vaughan's Freshman mermen won a 42 to 24 victory over Gardner High in the Indoor Athletic Building pool.

Crimson swimmers placed first and second in the 100 yard breaststroke, and Jim Hubbell's breaststroke leg on the 150 yard medley relay insured the Yardling victory in that event and sewed up the meet. After the meet, Hubbell was elected captain of the Freshman squad.

Individual star of the day was Gardner's Dave Murphy, who scored victories in the 50 and 100-yard free style races. His 25.1 time in the fifty was the best performance of the meet.

For the Ulenmen, it was the third triumph in four starts, while Gardner went down to its third straight defeat.

The summary:

50-yard free style swim--Won by Murphy (G); second, Billings (G); third, Perry (H). Time--25.1.

100-yard breaststroke swim--Won by Hubbell (H); second, Bain (H); third, Bujnicki (G). Time--1:17.3.

200-yard free style swim--Won by Davis (H); second, Reese (G); third, Moseman (G). Time--2:27.

100-yard backstroke swim--Won by Hartwell (H); second, Pilkoski (G); third, Smith (H). Time--1:09.3.

100-yard free style swim--Won by Murphy (G); second, Perry (H); third, Collins (H). Time--1:09.3.

Dive--Won by Pastelle (H); second, Benoit (G); third, Phillip (H), 70.2 points.

150-yard medley relay race--Won by Harvard; Hartwell, Hubbell, and Everett. Time--1:32.8.

200-yard free style relay race--Won by Harvard; Smith, Collins, Pastelle, and Prier. Time--1:49.