6 Professors Travel To Mexico, For Dedication

Shapley Contingent Sees New National Observatory

In one of the most complete departmental migrations in years, six professors of the Astronomy and Mathematics Departments have gone to Mexico to attend the dedication of her new national observatory.

Under the leadership of Harlow Shapley, Director of the College Observatory, the contingent leaves the Astronomy Department without any of its active professors. Substitutes, among whom is Mrs. Bok, wife of Bart J. Bok, associate professor of Astronomy, have been engaged for many of its courses.

Telescope Designed Here

Dedicated on Tuesday by President Comacho of Mexico, the observatory boasts a telescope that was constructed under the direction of members of the department. It was intended to be an exact twin of an instrument already installed here, but the builders over-estimated the amount that would be required to trim the edges of the lends, and so unintentionally produced what has been long hailed as the largest telescope of its kind in the world.

Due to return to Cambridge early in March, the University delegation will spend the rest of the month at an astronomical conference that has attracted many of the well-known scientists of the United States and Mexico.

Six representatives of the University spoke before the conference yesterday.