CASE ELECTED AS PRESIDENT OF COLGATE

Business School Professor Relieves Cutten August 31

In a meeting at the University Club in New York yesterday, the Board of Trustees of Colgate University elected as their ninth president Everett N. Case, instructor in Finance and assistant dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration since 1939. Case will succeed Dr. George B. Cutten, president since 1922, who will retire August 31.

Case has also been assistant professor at the Harvard Business School since last fall. He teaches a course in "Monetary Policies and Problems" which takes the place of a course formerly given by Dr. Oliver M. W. Sprague, Edmund Cogswell Converse Professor of Banking and Finance, who retired.

Graduated From Princeton

The new president graduated from Princeton in 1922 and took an honors degree in history at Cambridge, England, in 1924. He studied at the Harvard Graduate School for three years, then became personal assistant to Owen D. Young in 1927. He served in this capacity for six years, holding numerous other responsibilities as well.

When contacted at his Cambridge home last night, Case said: "As a Princetonian, I shall leave Harvard's hospitable Yard with reluctance, but going to Colgate is almost like going home. After all, I live only 40 miles from Hamilton and I know and love that country and its people. Consequently. I will tackle my new assignment in September with satisfaction and high hopes."

Student Should Have Responsibility.

Case believes that the main duty of any college is to develop a sense of responsibility in the individual so that he may understand the importance of doing a responsible job.

"The future of colleges will depend not merely on endowments and the post-war situation, important as these things are, but on their ability to re-discover and re-define their true function and see that it is performed with constantly increasing effectiveness," he said.