FORUM SAYS THREE-YEAR PLAN SHOULD NOT LAST AFTER WAR

Broad Education Preferred To More Specific Training

Revealing a conviction that a liberal education and a chance to mature should continue to be the primary objectives of a college education, four undergraduates discussed last night over the Crimson Network the question, "What will be the long range results of the accelerated curriculum?"

Representing the majority opinion, Bruce Barton, Jr. '43, president of the Advocate, stressed that "the best possible education" is one that produces a broad, general outlook, and that such and education is necessary for democracy. This kind of training, he maintained, requires more time than a three-year program would allow.

Upholding the opposite view was Albert Douglas, 3rd '42, who stated that "it is vitality important that students should recognize the trend of the times." If we are to cope with the staggering problems of post war reconstruction, he emphasized, we must train students in fields that have a direct bearing upon the part that they must play after graduation.

Combining these opinions, Thomas Matters '43, urged that most students take the time to distribute and reflect on their courses, in an effort to prepare themselves "to live a good life." Some undergraduates, however, who are planning to attend graduate school, are justified in accelerating their program, for their post-graduate training will give them adequate time to mature.

Peter Dammann '42, representing the CRIMSON, said that he was opposed to a permanently accelerated program, because it meant the end of many extra curricular activities. "I have got more out of them than out of Widener Library," he stated. Such organizations can survive the war only if the students are sufficiently interested in them, he maintained, pointing out that University officials would be too busy to give any attention to their welfare.