CONVICTED SOCIALIST PLEADS FOR U.S. CIVIL LIBERTY HERE

Injustice of Minneapolis Sedition Trial Is Attacked

Convicted of "conspiracy to advocate the overthrow of the government by force," and sentenced to 16 months in jail, Vincent R. Dunne has arrived in Cambridge to challenge the constitutionality of the act under which he and 17 others were prosecuted in the Minneapolis Sedition trial last November.

Released on ball, Dunne is traveling around the country under the auspices of the Civil Rights Defense Committee to arouse public concern over what he considers to be "the most important threat to civil liberties in the country today."

As part of the program to win support for the convicted labor leaders and to publicize the alleged danger to freedom of speech during the war, Dunne is scheduled to be interviewed over the Crimson Network tomorrow evening.

Attracting wide-spread attention throughout the country, the case has been appealed to the Supreme Court. Among those supporting the men are Professors Friedrich and Matthiessen of the University.

Dunne firmly believes that the sentence imposed on him has violated the right of free speech. "We want Socialism," he frankly admitted, and claimed that it was unconstitutional to deny to the leaders of the Minneapolis Union to which he belongs the right of spreading their opinions.

"We feel that the war will finally bring a vast majority of the people to our views," he continued, but warned that force might be required to bring about the change.

"There is a definite possibility of revolutions in all sections of the world after the war. In Germany especially, the people will rally to such progressive legislation. And the war will not end until the working class determines to create their new order."