EDUCATION DEAN IN WASHINGTON

Holmes Head During Spaulding's Absence

Francis T. Spaulding '17, Dean of the Graduate School of Education, has been granted leave of absence for two months to act as Civilian Consultant to the Special Services Branch of the War Department, and has been in Washington since last Monday.

In Dean Spaulding's absence, Henry W. Holmes '03, professor of Education and chairman of the University Committee on Educational Relations, is serving as acting Dean of the School, the University announced.

Dean Spaulding's duties during his stay in Washington are understood to deal mainly with a survey of education in the armed forces. As Civilian Consultant, he will investigate the education of men in the Army, and advise on new methods of instruction for them. Whenever men are not in the actual field of operations, some sort of educational program will be provided for them, and this is what will concern Dean Spaulding.

Acting Dean Holmes is returning to a post he has held before. He was Dean of the School from 1920 to 1940, at which time he retired from the office, continas professor of Education and chairman of the Educational Relations Committee. He has recently been appointed chairman of the War Speakers Committee, and will continues his work on these committees as Dean.

In a change in the Department of Government, Associate Professor Benjamin F. Wright was named Chairman of the Department for the second half-year in place of Professor Arthur N. Holcombe.