Varsity Basketball Team Drops Close One to Tufts, 35-33 Score

Yardlings Overcome Foes For Fourth Win

By A. EDWARD Rowse

An improved Tufts basketball quintet, by virtue of a traditionally close margin of victory, nipped Coach Earl Brown's exam-ridden hoopsters by a 35 to 33 count last night before a capacity crowd at the Indoor Athletic Building.

Until five minutes from the end of play, the Varsity encounter was a new low for the season in slowness and sloppy playing. But at that point, the Crimson finally awoke from their apathy to start a scoring rally which missed success by two points as the game ended.

Scully, Webber Lead Raily

In a preliminary contest, Al McCoy's game, Art Scully and Bill Webber sunk two baskets apiece, but Nick Del Ninno, high scorer of the evening with 28 points, preserved the visitors' margin of victory with a beautiful one-handed basket in the midst of the splurge.

Neither team could make its passes click or find the basket throughout the affair with the result that both teams concentrated on defense. The only time the Crimson enjoyed a lead of more than one point was at the opening of the game, when Chick Lutz and Captain Bud Finegan built up a 5 to 0 lead.

Del Ninno Sparks Visitors

Midway through the period, however, the score was deadlocked at nine points apiece, from which point Del Ninno led his teammates into a lead that was never relinquished.

From the Crimson angle, Bunks Burditt was the outstanding player on the floor. His patented pivot shot, which netted him ten points, might have doubled that figure had he been on the receiving end of more passes from his teammates.

In the Yardling game, Dean Hennessey grabbed his team's scoring honors with 13 points, but he was closely followed by Frank Bixler with 11, and Tom Keene and Mike DeLeo with ten points each. Charley Markman led the visitors with 22 points.