FOOD RATES IN DINING HALLS ARE INCREASED

Charges to be Made For All Extra Orders

Effective next Monday morning all University Dining Halls will adopt a new ruling under which an additional charge will be made for every extra order and second meal in accordance with a special price list which will be printed on the backs of the menus.

Due largely to considerable increases in food prices over last year, the flat rate of $8.50 per week instituted last June for the Freshman Union and the House Dining Halls has proved increasingly insufficient to meet operating expenses, according to a notice issued yesterday by Roy L. Westcott, superintendent of Dining Halls.

Rather than increase the Board Rate, however, it has been decided to attempt to remedy this situation by initiating on February 20 the practice of charging extra for all departures from the regular menu, and for all "seconds" on food and drink. At the same time steps will be taken to cut down as much as possible other expenses in the Dining Halls.

Westcott has stated that with the co-operation of students and workers a balance between total Board Rates and operating expenses will probably be reached without changing the quality of food served.

He has indicated, however, that there is a possibility that within the next few weeks the sugar rationing program may clamp down at Harvard. Only rumored at present, this move would involve a 30% cut in the amount of sugar available on all Dining Hall tables. But according to Aldrich Durant, Business Manager, there is no need as yet for University men to worry about the supply of sweetening for their coffee and cereal.

When asked if a reserve store of sugar had been built up to cover emergencies, Durant said, "We don't heard at Harvard." Robert C. Benchley, Jr. '43, President of the Lampoon, announced that the Lamp "would raise cain" to alleviate any sugar shortage.

Superintendent of the department responsible for purchasing all food used in University Dining Hall, hiring all waiters, and arranging balanced meals, Roy L. Westcott has quoted figures to give some idea of the staggering amounts of food bought and eaten at Harvard College.

30,000 Gallons of Ice-Cream

During the past year the Freshman Union and the House Dining Halls together consumed 30,000 gallons of ice-cream. Furthermore, Westcott has ordered from various neighboring wholesalers during this season an average for each week of about seven tons of potatoes, over a ton of roast beef, a ton of lamb, and 48 crates of mushrooms.

Milk, which at five of the Houses alone has been regularly drunk up at the rate of 600 gallons a week, has been one of the commodities on which the Dining Halls have lost the most money. Under the new system extra milks will probably cost five cents additional for each glass.