Brother Can You Spare A Dime

Hurting along a good $11,000 shy of the $40,000 goal, Harvard's effort in the United States War Fund Drive is now almost due at the end of the line. At the present rate, no one can be sure it will ever get there (and it won't be the fault of Daylight Saving if it doesn't.)

The University's pulse is supposed to be beating to the national war emergency. High-presure methods and intense advertising are meant to be unnecessary. Then why have the students contributed the impressive sum of $500 while the employees of the University have coughed up merely $5600, and the Faculty has subscribed $23,000? Of course, a number of factors must be considered before wrath can be poured too generously upon the students' heads. The Student Council's drive earlier this year has taken a toll on the charity impulse of the student body, and the present campaign is an additional drain on undergraduate pockets which are traditionally empty.

But the war has added an emergency factor to the annual Community Chest drive, and Faculty and employees of the University cannot be expected to make up all of the difference. Both have contributed more than ever before, and students can well afford to give up a couple of trips to the movies, of the price of a quart of Scotch, in order to help Harvard reach its quota. There are only two more days to go, and if the University fails to make up the $11,000 still lacking, most of the blame will lie upon the hands of the student body.