Crimson Athletes Sign Up In Marines; Football Squad Cut

McNicol May Play During '42 Season

The indoor Athletic Building looked like a Marine Corps recruiting station yesterday afternoon when eleven, (count em eleven,) Crimson athletics were sports in as Leathernecks by Lieutenant Ralph Hornblower, Jr. '41.

Although it has been previously announced that Don McNichol, last year's pile-driving, full back, was definitely out for the coming season, he expressed doubt last night as to whether that would be the case. "I won't know definitely until June," he said. Barring call to the draft, the red-headed product of Finishing N. Y., will try to graduate in September. However, there are scholastic difficulties to be overcome.

It was a sad day for the coaches, for, although some of the men are not subject to call immediately, all are required to go after receiving a six-month notice. This proviso may be waived, however, in case of extreme emergency, so Dick Harlow, with spring practice coming up, and Floyd Stable, with baseball drill well under way, are on tender books.

Dick Row, guard; Wayne Johnson, fullback, Ed Buckley, basketball flash; End Waldstein, lending Varsity pitcher; RUSS Stannard, tackle, and Finegan, basketball captain; Ross Whittior, J. V. football player, Cloo O'Dounell, wingback; Bart Harvey, second baseman, and Bill Eilis are the men who have transfer from the gridiron, diamond, and basketball court to the "Halls of Mohtozuma and the Shorea of Tripoll."

Along with these men, who may well be lost to Dick Harlow next fall, several other players on which the Crimson pigskin wizard was relying will not be showing up next full. Dave Goldthwalte, Johnny Page, Ray Guild, and Tommy Shattuck, added to these named above, will almost certainly be missing. One bright sport on the horizon is the announcement by Don Forte, next year's captain, yesterday, that be definitely will be back.

Johnny Page, pivot see, will be sorely missed. He is "almost certain" he won't be around. Dave Goldwaite, only blocking back left from Harlow's smooth-working 1941 machine, although he is light, would have probably been the ranking man in this department. But he will be in Medical School before the football season rolls around.

Shattuck has been enrolled in V-7, and will probably be called before full, while Ray Guild, fastest man on the squad, will probably be out or doctors orders.