Glee Club Sings With Radcliffe In Concert

Composition By Harvard Graduate Featured Tonight

The massed voices of the Harvard Glee Club and the Radcliffe Choral Society will fill Sanders Theatre at 8:15 this evening when the two organizations present their annual Cambridge concert, Director G. Wallace Woodworth '24, associate professor of Music, has combined selections in the classical vein with a number of more modern choral pieces in a program composed mainly of lesser known concert works.

A feature of the annual recital is the first public performance of "The Defense of Corinth", a choral narrative by Harvard composer, Elliott Carter '30. This presentation is the second that Carter has prepared expressly for the Harvard singers, the first being "Tarantella", another story in song, sung for the first time in 1937.

Mozart Cantata on Program

The chorus will begin the program with a Mozart Cantata, followed by selections from one of the Palestrina Masses. This part of the concert will be climaxed by the Cherubin "Requiem in C Minor", in memorial to its composer, who died one-hundred years ago today.

The combined clubs will also present an a capella chorus by Norman Lockwood from a text by Walt Whitman, which was awarded the World's Fair prize for choral composition in 1938. Also included are four choruses from Offenbach's opera "La Belle Helene", folk songs arranged by Dvorak and Delaney, and three Bach chorales.

For the first time, the entire concert will be carried over the Crimson Network to the Houses.