HARLOW SPEAKS TO 70 FOOTBALL PROSPECTS

Members of '42 Squad Praise Spring Work

Claiming that he will make his practice sessions twice as tough this season as last, Coach Dick Harlow, the Crimson football mentor, addressed a gathering of 70 prospective "Chub" Peabody's and Franny Lee's at a meeting preliminary to the opening of spring practice, last night at the Varsity Club.

It has been my experience," he said, "that the men who hit hardest in the games before the last war were the ones that came back after it was over. The tougher you are now, the more alive you will be five years from now. The boys who we had to chase up for practice, and who we had to drive, well, we didn't see so many of them again."

Praise of Spring Sessions

At the meeting, which was held in the lounge of the Varsity Club, were several members of last year's powerful team and the coaches and managers. "Chub" Peabody, Don Forte, Loren MacKinney, and Dick Pfister all spoke in praise of the spring sessions, maintaining that it is during them that the players learn their football, since the fall is taken up by specific preparation for the coming game

Practice officially starts Monday, and Harlow hopes to get at least 26 full days of work in before the spring season is over. But it may be a sad affair, for, with Don McNicol's plans still up in the air and several others with their future definitely laid out for the good of Uncle Sam rather than Uncle John H., the outlook when Soldiers Field gridirons open for business again is not too bright.

Most of the returning lettermen on whom Dick was relying for next fall are either not coming back, or have signed up with the Marines. Although they are given six months' notice, there is no guarantee that September won't see them gunning for Japs, not Elis.