FACULTY MEMBERS SPEAK OVER WRUL

American Opinions Carried To Europe by Radio Talks

The world-wide broadcasting beam of WRUL has carried the voice of Harvard to occupied Europe for the past month, William Tyler, assistant program director of the station stated yesterday. Two series of programs have been devoted to the presentation of the American point of view by members of the Graduate Schools and Faculty.

In the first series, a group of graduate students and members of the Faculty have presented a digest of American editorial opinion to the millions of listeners not only in this hemisphere but also in the areas of Europe under Hitler domination. These programs are Verboten to all listeners under Gestapo surveillance, but reports from various Red Cross officials reveal that WRUL has an enthusiastic, though hidden, audience, Tyler declared.

Originated Last Month

"Originating just one month ago, a second series of broadcasts has transmitted messages by five Harvard professors to the station's scattered audience" he continued. In the opening program, Henry W. Holmes, professor of Education, introduced and explained the purpose of the series. Holmes was followed on successive weeks by Lawrence Packard, visiting professor of History, who spoke of Prussian militarism, Langden Warner, lecturer of Fine Arts who explained the Japanese position in the struggle, and Dumas Malone, director of the Harvard University Press, who clarified democracy's position in total war.

Tonight, Eliot Perkins, lecturer on History and master of Lowell House, will present the "Historical Affirmation of Democracy", an analysis of democracy's historical heritage.

Tyler emphasized that the University is doing a great wartime service in presenting to the world, via the other, the American views on the causes, progress, and results of the war.