BINGHAM BELIEVES CRIMSON COACHING POSITIONS SECURE

Harvard Mentors Able to Double up on Sport Duties

Although the Elis have been releasing coaches right and left recently, Bill Bingham has announced that Harvard will not be required to make a similar move.

Announced reason for the mass exit of mentors from New Haven is the need for decreased expenses, although Yale's athletic showing in those sports has not been too impressive of late. But in Cambridge, the situation is different because Crimson coaches can, and are, doubling up.

Coaches Double Up

For instance, Floyd Stahl handles the baseball team, and works on the football team as well, Earl Brown and Al McCoy are both basketball and football experts, and Henry Lamar is proficient both on the gridiron and in the resined ring. In spite of contrary rumors Harvard coaches can go to sleep undisturbed by any spectres save those of Uncle Sam and the accelerated program.

Ben Thomson, golf, Bill Hinchcliffe, tennis, and, earlier, "Spite" Nelson, and several members of his staff of football coaches have already been notified that their contracts will not be renewed. But perhaps the greatest surprise of all was the announcement by Ogden P. Miller, athletic director, that the familiar figure of long-time favorite "Smoky Joe" Wood, will be missing from the Eli diamond next season.

Now, the papers are reporting that Ed Leader, whose crews have lost to Harvard for five straight years, may be the next to feel the Miller axe. Leader, who produced sensational crews in years past, has had eights in recent seasons that, although setting record times, have been beaten. Whether any more contracts will fall is doubtful, but enough have been let go to enable the papers to call the action "the most extensive house cleaning in the history of any major school."