Lowell Home of Tradition, Scholars and Russian Bells

Record Collection Rated As the Finest

This is the fourth and last in a series of articles intended to help Freshmen in their choice of a House by presenting undergraduate view-points. Each article is written by a member of the House under discussion.

Lowell has been the core of the House system in tradition and in geography since it was opened in 1930. The other Houses appear to cluster about its imposing white bell tower.

On the tradition side, the Bellboys can enumerate among their distinctions formal Monday night dinners, ringing of the Russian bells one Sunday morning a month, an annual opera and a birthday party for President-emeritus A. Lawrence Lowell.

Has Varied Activities

The House which too often has been called disparagingly the home of PBK and Group One men also has active social and athletic sides. Its Winter Formals have been a high point of the circuit and its Yale game dance last November highlighted the entire football-weekend season. Lately the House's sports aggregations have been in the shadow and in the absence of championship teams the emphasis often shifts to getting everybody out.

Artistically, the House boats two trim Georgian courts lorded over by the spiring bell tower. Its panelled library contains exceptional economics and poetry collections and an undisputed record library.

Stress Outside Activities

This last year the chief interest of the House, if a generalization can be made of 300 students, has been not marks but extra curricular activities. Still the stronghold of scholarship, it now is using its Common Room and unique Tower Room, its Musical Society and its year-book. The Chronicle, to greater advantage.

Under House Master Elliott Perkins, who succeeded Julian L. Coolidge last year, is arrayed a staff of tutors covering every field imaginable. History, Government and English have perhaps the strongest contingents.