Liberal Union Plans Sale of Bonds As Part of Campaign to Build Morale

Group Makes Move Against Discrimination in Defense

Acting to "combat the indifferent student war attitude here," the Harvard Liberal Union has embarked on a comprehensive war activities campaign. The 95 members of the organization have drawn up tentative plans to conduct a defense bond sale and act in other channels to aid the war effort materially and morally.

"Plans for the sale of bonds are not yet completed, but the Liberal Union will probably conduct a university-wide campaign within the next month," Mark Schlefer '43, a member of the group, stated yesterday. Dances, speaking drives, and various other promotion stunts will feature the drive to raise an unspecified sum for the government, he added.

Group to Aid Morale

Aside from the new bond campaign, the Liberal Union plans to continue work on a series of pamphlets outlining American aims in the war. Those pamphlets are part of the enlarged Liberal stratagem to acquaint the University and the students with what they may fight for, and awake an attitude of "cooperation with the national effort" here.

At the same time, the group is active in efforts to broaden the basis of Defense so that Negroes may take an active part in the current struggle. Adam Yarmolinsky '43 is in communication with Walter White, president of the Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and the group has made a unanimous appeal for greater tolerance in essential industries.

Part of the same campaign is an appeal to the Red Cross for acceptance of Negro Blood in the National Blood Bank. Up to a month ago, authorities had refused this blood, but public protest changed the policy until today the Navy accepts such donations. The liberals demand free use of this blood for Red Cross and civilian use. Petitions to this effect have been sent to Mayor La Guardia and other active in civilian defense.