THURSDAY AIR RAID RULES PUBLISHED

Excerpts from Official Rules for Cambridge Blackout

The City of Cambridge Committee on Public Safety shall hold a blackout of the entire only of Cambridge, March 5, 1942 at 10:00 p.m.

All orders issued shall be in accordance with Executive Order No. 2, issued by Gov. Leverett Saltonstall, January 8, 1942.

Contact with electric power companies has been so that street lighting can be de-energized at this hour. Traffic lights will also be extinguished.

Vital necessities, such as water, pumps, sever pumps, five alarms, radio facilities, hospital services, etc., are not to be disturbed.

Private signs, shops fronts or other means of lighting publicity displayed shall be blacked out. All occupants of premises with lighting on time switches shall be directed to extinguish them at or before 10:00 p.m., March 5, 1942. In case of movie houses, theatres, and other places of amusement, the management shall be responsible for prompt blackout of all exterior lighting promptly at 10:00 p.m.

Warden's Duties

During the blackout the air raid warden's duties shall be twofold: (1) To prevent panic, (2) to see that all lights are extinguished as promptly as possible. Police shall make plans to clear all streets during blackout.

ORDERS:

At 10:00 p.m., on March 5, 1942 occupants of all premises or parts of premises, public and private, shall extinguish all lights or darken the premises so that no light is visible from the outside.

The managers, superintendents or persons in control of hotels, apartments, office buildings and all other places of multiple occupancy tenants' rooms at multiple occupancy and use shall extinguish all lights whether in public places, or in tenants rooms at 10:00 p.m. on March 5, 1942.

Lights may be left on in rooms which have previously been equipped for use during a blackout in such manner that no lights whatsoever shall be visible from the outside. The windows and entrances to such equipped rooms or places shall be covered with heavy draperies, curtains, heavy paper, board or black obscuration paint, so that no light may be visible from the outside. Skylights shall be specially obscured on the outside to prevent reflection of lights and shall be especially protected from the inside to prevent in jury from falling glass.

All outside lights, including lights for work being done in the open, shall be extinguished immediately on the giving of the signal for the blackout. All outside activity which involves fire, or in any way creates or displays a source of light, shall cease.

No Smoking

Smoking or lighting matches outdoors during a blackout is forbidden.

No vehicle shall be operated on any way or street, public or private during the blackout except such vehicles as are necessary for the services essential to civilian defense, or for the preservation of life or property.

At 10:00 p.m., March 5, 1942, the operators of vehicles other than emergency vehicles shall immediately reduce speed to not more than 15 miles per hour, drive to the side, of the road or curb at the first opportunity and stop. The operators of vehicles shall extinguish the lights thereon. The operators of such vehicles shall not park at intersections hydrants, police stations, fire stations or hospitals. If practical, the operators of such vehicles shall drive the same entirely off the travelled portions of the road or highway. Vehicles already parked at the curb, in parking place or garages shall be left where they are unless ordered or permitted to be moved by the police.

The operating management of railroads shall arrange for movement of railroad traffic during a blackout, complying in so far as practical with the orders and regulations herein set forth, or in such manner as may approved by the Cambridge Committee on Public Safety. Railroad stations, buildings and other railroad structures shall be governed by the orders, rules and regulations covering buildings as herein set forth, subject to such modifications as are deemed necessary, and as may be approved by the Cambridge Committee on Public Safety.

Exactly at 10.00 P.M., March 5, 1942, all street lighting shall be extinguished as rapidly as possible without interrupting the electric, gas, water, fire power and similar services supplied by the locality.

At exactly 10.00 P.M., March 5, 1942, all traffic signals which have not been shielded in conformity with the blackout standards, fixed and approved, shall be extinguished.

The intensity of all fire and police signal lights shall be reduced as far as practicable and such lights shall be shielded in such manner that no light is visible above the horizontal.

The official public alarm shall be the sounding of sirens, and factory whistles designated by the Chief Air Warden, or the extinguishing of street lights, which ever occurs first. At 10.30 P. M., the official "all-out" will be sounded on sirens and factory whistles and street lights will be relighted and all traffic and business will resume its normal procedure.