SERVICE FATAL TO "VIC" EHLER

Janitor Reentered Service To Instruct Rookie Gunners

Official University tribute will soon he paid to Vic Ehler, one of the College's best-loved janitors, who died suddenly of a heart attack Thursday night in the hospital of the Naval Training Station at Newport, Rhode Island.

Vic, as he was known to every Freshman Class since 1926, exchanged his janitor's duties in Matthews for a position of Chief Gunner's Mate in the Navy only two weeks ago. He had been recalled to active service because his long experience in the Navy made him well fitted for teaching recruits the fine points of gunnery.

Vic enlisted in 1905, at the age of 17 and served in the Mexican Border Campaign, in Nicaragua, and in the World War, as a chief gunner's mate. In the he was honorably discharged from active service, but remained on the reserve lists until his recall last March 26.

Noted as Tap-Dancer

1926 saw the beginning of the Ehler tradition in the Yard. Every present and former inhabitant of Matthews remembers Vic's bellowing summons to the telephone and his remarkable knack for knowing all there is to know around the Yard. He was also noted for his colorful tap-dancing, and his demonstration of the correct manner to fire a torpedo.

So popular was the 55-year-old janitor with the present aggregation of Matthews men that the students in that hall have contributed to a purse which they will present to his family.