100 Clergymen to Assemble In Divinity School Meeting

Niebuhr to Deliver Dudleian Lecture

Carrying on a tradition of over two centuries, the annual public Dudleian Lecture on natural and revealed religion will be delivered today by Reinhold Niebuhr, of the Union Theological School, as part of the visitation day ceremonies of the Divinity School.

Approximately 100 clergymen and alumni are expected to attend the festivities, which open at 10:30 o'clock with the annual assembly of the Alumni Association. The meetings will continue throughout the day, and will feature, in addition to Niebuhr's address, the annual Ingersoll Lecture by Douglas Van Streere, associate professor of Philosophy at Haverford College.

Niebuhr Honored

Characterized by J. Seelye Bixler, Bussey Professor of Theology, who is in general charge of the ceremony, as an "outstanding leader and thinker in contemporary religions and political fields," Niebuhr will speak on "The Relation of the devotional service will be conducted Revelation to the Meaning of History." One of the few Americans to have been appointed to a Gifford Lectureship of Scotland, an honor which he shares with Professor William E. Hocking and Professor Arthur Darby Nock of Harvard, he is the author of many books and an editor of the "Nation."

Likewise open to the public without charge, the Ingersoll Lecture is traditionally on "The Immortality of Man." This year, Professor Van Steere has chosen the subject "Death's Illumination of Life"; and will speak at 4:15 o'clock in the Chapel of Andover Hall. Professor Niebuhr's address will be devered in the same place, at 3 o'clock.

At the Alumni Association assembly, by the Reverend Mr. Morrison R. Boynton '13, president of the Association, while the Reverend Mr. Dan Huntington Fenn '19 will read the names of alumni who have died during the past year. The annual address will be delivered by the Reverend Mr. Sidney B. Snow, president of the Meadvill Theological School, Chicago, who will discuss "What is Central in Theological Education."

Luncheon Follows

The Assembly will be followed by a luncheon, at which representatives of the reunion classes will speak, and Robert J. Holden 3rd will talk on behalf of the Class of 1942. In the place of Dean Willard Sperry, who is ill, Professor Bixler will represent the school as a whole.

As an added feature of the ceremony this year, the chapel, which was recently decorated by students will be dedicated. To be called the "Sperry Chapel", it will be consecrated at 12:30 o'clock by the Reverend Mr. Fenn.