Varsity Golfers Lose Opener, 6-3

Holy Cross Beats Linksmen, Who Face Brown Tomorrow

Victories by Pete Macgowan and Bill Allis weren't enough for the Crimson golf team yesterday, when the Peddiemen dropped their opening match to Holy Cross at Worcester, 6 to 3. Tomorrow, on the home links of the Belmont Country Club, the squad will take on Brown at 2 o'clock.

Playing one and two for the Harvard divot-diggers, Macgowan and Allis accounted for all the Crimson points. Macgowan won a 2-up decision over Crusader Jim O'Leary, with a medal score of 76. Allis took Bob Elliot into camp; 5 and 3. In the doubles, this pair's best ball beat O'Leary and Elliot 1 up.

No Other Crimson Winners

Other Crimson representatives didn't fare so well. In number three, Henry Shepley dropped a 2 and 1 match to Jack Mendes, and number four man Ollie Ames was raked 5 and 4 by Larry Murphy, New England Intercollegiate champion. Murphy's medal score, 74, was the best of the day.

Sophomore Art Tarlow, at number five, was trounced 8 and 7 by Joe Monahan, and Don Davis was nosed out 1 up, by Bud Graham. In doubles matches, Shepley, and Ames lost to Mendes and Murphy 2 up, and Tarlow and Davis fell 6 and 5 to Monahan and Graham.

No lineup changes are planned for the Brown match, with Macgowan, Allis, Ames, Shepley, Tarlow and Davis, in that order, slated to tee off for the Crimson.