VARSITY NINE TO FACE THREE FOES

Opposes Army, Princeton, Columbia in Busy Weekend

By J. ROBERT Moskin

West Point today will be the first stop on the Varsity baseball nine's weekend excursion, which will include visits to Princeton tomorrow and to Columbia Monday afternoon.

Coach Floyd Stahl took with him 15 players, including four pitchers, to meet the heaviest opposition the team has run into yet. In addition to the usual starting line-up, making the tour are hurlers Lou Clay, Mort Waldstein, Joe Phelan and Warren Berg; Sophomore utilitymen Brooks Heath and Thayer Drake; and catcher Gerard Callanan.

Waldstein May Foil Tigers

No pitching assignments were announced before the team left Boston last night, but is very likely that Mort Waldstein will be commissioned to rout the E. I. B. L. champs at Princeton tomorrow. Last year Waldstein beat the Tigers 7 to 4, hitting a ninth-inning homer to cinch the game. He lost the second half of the Princeton series, 6 to 4, although he held them to seven hits.

If Waldstein does start tomorrow, Captain Lou Clay may be expected to open on the mound this afternoon against the Cadets and perhaps also begin the Columbia battle on Monday.

Change Batting Order

One minor shift in the batting order was made before leaving. Until today shortstop Jay Gleason hit seventh, and third baseman Whittemore eighth, but Stahl has now switched these two batters.

The Army game is the only non-League encounter of the trip. Last April the Cadets walked away with the annual Crimson match, 7 to 2, and should keep the Varsity hopping this afternoon. Princeton lines up as the toughest opponent the Crimson has faced this season. Boy Talcott, who won 12 and lost none last season, including eight of the Tiger's nine League victories, is expected to oppose the Crimson on the mound tomorrow.