Defense Service Committee Streamlined to Meet Needs

New Body Created To Handle War Work

Completely reshaping the outdated, pre-war Defense Service Committee, the Student Council and Phillips Brooks House have organized all student war work into a streamlined War Service Committee.

The new plan, which the Council accepted Thursday evening, was made public yesterday. Until it was passed, the Defense Service Committee, founded by PBH in October, had found it difficult to organize in a period of national transition. New branches had to be continually set up to cover increasing demands.

Four Committees Set Up

Built to run on four high-powered cylinders, the new highly-centralized W.S.C. will cooperate with the Dean's Office on a broad range of wartime activities. Liaison with Dean Henry Chauncey's A.R.P. office and with the social service committees of PBH will be established.

Four sub-committees make up the organization proper: Social Service, Intellectual, Donations, and Emergency and Personnel. These groups will meet frequently to avoid duplication of efforts and to cooperate with such outside groups as the U.S.O., the Red Cross, and the Army morale division.

J. Elden Sawhill '43, president of Brooks House, heads the Social Service Committee and has the task of uniting the efforts of two coordinating PBH committees, Social Service and Undergraduate Faculty. In large part, Sawhill's sector acts as booking agent of such activities as sending the Pi Eta show to Fort Devens and staging dances for draftees as was done before December 7.

The "three B's" are the chief concern of the Donations Committee under Richard L. Hall '43 and Richard Leacock '43. This group has already been functioning through networks of representatives in the Houses, the Union, and Dudley, collecting books and blood and selling bonds and war stamps.