Election Speed-up

With the speeding up of the college program all along the line, there is a genuine need to overhaul the election schedules for the Student Council. Since men are going through college in about half or two-thirds of the usual time, the Council should have more frequent elections and should have them earlier in the college program.

If present election rules remain in effect, Freshmen will have to wait until the end of their Sophomore year to be elected when they will be bogged down with the theses and general exams of Seniors. Instead, Freshmen should be elected some time during their first year so as to serve a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, each class won't be getting its fair share of representation while in college. It is claimed by some that Freshmen wouldn't have the necessary college know-all, or wouldn't be competent to serve on the Council. But Freshmen will be representing their classmates, and will know more about their class affairs than anyone else. Secondly, it takes no specific training to serve competently on the Council. Under the present system, the Council will be made up only of men in their last year of college, and neither first nor second year men will have any members on the governing body.

Moreover, with men entering college at three different times of the year, the problem of what constitutes a class is almost insoluble. Every group that enters must have its own representatives and this number should increase as the particular group goes through college. To do this elections should be held more often so as to assure equal representation for every section of the student body.