COLONEL IN AIR FORCE WILL EXPLAIN RECRUITING PLANS

Enlistments May Be On Deferred Basis

Following up the recently announced War Department plan to recruit men in colleges in order to meet the increasing needs of the Army Air Forces for air and ground crews, Elliott Perkins, Faculty Air Force adviser, stated yesterday that Lieutenant-Colonel John J. Keough '25 of Westover Field will explain the new program to undergraduates next Monday in Emerson D, at 7:30 o'clock. Enlistments will take place on the 8th and 9th of May, at which time the Army hopes to fill its quota.

Although the details of the plan have not as yet been revealed, a release to the CRIMSON from the War Department states that men may enlist in the Army Air Force Enlisted Reserve on a deferred service basis and continue their education. However, students are subject to call to duty any time after enlistment, but the plan is to defer them if satisfactory scholastic standards are maintained.

Men whose courses of study give them special instruction in meteorology and communications will be permitted to continue their courses to enable them to qualify as officers. Whether they will be allowed to continue in college will be determined by examinations to be given to Sophomores enlisted in the Air Force Reserves.

Students enlisted in the Air Force Reserve who are graduated or who may be called to duty before graduation, will be ordered to active duty and appointed Aviation Cadets. They will have the same opportunity to compete for commissions as other Aviation Cadets.

The college recruiting plan was announced by Lieutenant-General Henry H. Arnold, Commanding General of the Army Air Forces in a telegram to President Conant. Over 150 colleges throughout the country will take part in this program.